Your office should match your business’s needs, and as your needs change, so should your space. Yet office build-outs are time-consuming and complex projects. Choosing the right commercial general contractor, like Ausonio in Central California, can simplify the process and ensure your business has a solid foundation for success.
Types Of Tenant Improvements
Moving into an unfinished space is a beautiful opportunity for any business. It’s a blank slate that you can work with to fit your needs perfectly. But you’re also responsible for finishing the space, which requires extra time and money.
Tenant improvements (another name for an office build-out) also encompass smaller-scale projects, such as subdividing an existing space and reconfiguring your current layout. If you’re aiming to improve what your company already has, the first thing your contractor will do is visit the site to identify any needed upgrades. These assessments also determine applicable building codes, compliance requirements, and usable on-site resources.
Top 8 Tips For Starting Your Office Build-Out
If you’ve never organized an office build-out before, you should know that sketching out a new layout is just one of the things you need to do. Even seemingly minor tasks may be more complicated than you realize. Below are eight things that you and your general contractor should consider before beginning your tenant improvements project.
- If you are leasing the space, talk to your landlord about any construction limitations.
- Look for ways to save money on energy and utilities, like water, electricity, heating, and air conditioning.
- Don’t forget amenities—attractive extras that will enhance your employees’ workday: on-site fitness center, gardens with outdoor seating, etc.
- Define your budget and timeline.
- Consider the future of your business, both short-term and long-term.
- Consider the lighting in your new office, including how to leverage natural sunlight.
- Carefully estimate how much space you need and how you will use it.
- Incorporate employee wellness into your design plans: ergonomic furniture, air purification systems, etc.
Identifying your construction wish list with “wants” versus “needs” is a critical step in preparing for your next build-out. Ausonio can be with you every step of the way to determine what they are and how to make your “wish list” items come true. We also partner with specialty consultants and contractors. We believe that getting the best local experts is the key to making your vision a reality.
Our Design-Build Services
Every office remodel is its own beast. The design choices you make during the build-out will impact how your office feels and functions for years to come. Preparation is the key to long-term success.
- Ensure the required paperwork is in order: permits, insurance, etc.
- Manage other subcontractors—like plumbers, carpenters, and painters—as needed.
- Schedule technicians to drop data cables.
- Schedule electricians to install wiring.
- Conduct a site evaluation.
With our 60+ year Design & Build history, we pull out all the stops to ensure your tenant improvement fits within your budget, timeline, and needs. We coordinate with various consultants to get your “wish list” items designed and partner with trustworthy local subcontractors so your dream project can come in on budget.
Schedule Your Office Build-Out Consultation Today
Ready to build an office that meets your business’s needs? By planning and teaming up with a reliable contractor, you start your project on the right foot and realize your vision.
If your new office is located in the Counties of Monterey, San Benito, or Santa Cruz in California, contact Ausonio and schedule your consultation today.